Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Meeting the Bloggers from Young House Love

I know this is a little late, but I've been wanting to write a post about this for a while. On November 10, 2012, I accomplished one of my life goals:

I met John and Sherry from the blog Young House Love!!

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few years, you know that this blog is pretty much the best home related, diy blog EVER! Not only have I religiously followed it for probably over three years now (since I lived at college), but I make it a part of my day to read it every day. They've seriously inspired me as we've been working on making our house "ours." I just love those two!

Anyway, they released a book last fall, which I preordered of course, and they have been on their book tour since then. Here's that lovely book:
I KNEW we had to make a weekend trip to Chicago to meet them....so we did! :) Chicago is about 3 hours away from us, so it's not too bad of a drive, and it was a fun little weekend trip.

The book signing was at West Elm in Chicago (Love that store), and we got there plenty early, so we got to wait inside, unlike many of the unlucky people who had to wait in the rain outside. (Seriously, the line wrapped around the whole store I think, and was there for several hours.)

It actually didn't feel like we were waiting in line too long. We got to sit comfortably in the store, and they fed us cookies ;).
The cookies were ok, (Side note: I think that dot in the middle of the house is supposed to be a heart - fail.) but I ate the heart cookie and it turned my mouth red! Teeth and all. So I was freaking out for a little while and going to the bathroom secretly trying to get the red food coloring to fade! I mean, I couldn't meet my idols with a red mouth. Luckily, it faded in time. Sigh of relief.

The best surprise was when we found out that John and Sherry were going to do a short little presentation before the signings - at the table right in front of us! It was literally like 5 feet away from us. I was so nervous, thinking about what I was going to do and say when they were around and trying to psych myself into acting normal. It was seriously like meeting my favorite celebrity.


It was so cool when John and Sherry finally came out! The whole time I was pretty much standing in awe watching them. They took turns briefly explaining a few of the book projects. 


Then they said they couldn't wait to meet us all and headed over to the book signing table!

I had brought my book that I preordered from Amazon, and I bought another book at the signing for my sister as a Christmas present. So I got those both signed. And, because Sherry is an avid ceramic animal lover (and I have become one too), I brought this little guy too just to make Sherry excited:
It's my ceramic dog that I got from Target. I just love him. He's so regal. :)

When it was our turn to meet John and Sherry, I tried my best not to act nervous, but I don't think I succeeded. I forgot to introduce myself, and John asked if my name was Haley or Whitney, because one of the books said my sister's name and one said mine. Fail. I just kind of set everything up on the table and was like "Hiiiii....I brought my dogggg." haha. Luckily, Sherry was super nice and was like, "Oh I love signing those!!" I think that's what she was saying in the picture. :)

She even explained that the brand Threshold, who made the dog, is now what the Target Home Brand is called, which I didn't know. Just a little tidbit!

It all happened so fast, it's hard to remember it all (It was like a blur. haha). But we did get this picture with them, which looks like we are super tiny and they're normal size due to the person kneeling on the ground while taking the picture. Darn! (And we look like total dorks) All in all though, it was one of my favorite experiences yet! They really were super nice. But we already knew that from their blog :)

While we were in Chi-town, we had a chance to do a little shopping on Michigan Ave....


Eat at Harry Caray's.....


And see some of the sights - including going up in the John Hancock building, which neither of us had done before. Very cool!


It was a great weekend!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...