Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Painted Wine Bottles and Jars

Hey y'all (Is it wrong to say y'all when I'm not from the south? ;p). I was in another crafty mood this weekend. So I whipped out some more paint and decided to see what else I could come up with using materials I already had here at home. These weekend projects were easy and completely free, since I used a couple of wine bottles and mason jars we had on hand. And I think they turned out really cute!

Here's how I made them:
First I just grabbed some old glass jars and a couple of bottles and cleaned them with soap and water. 
For the wine bottles, I removed the labels by soaking them in some hot water for a few minutes, then peeling as much as I could off with my fingers. For the smaller parts that were left over, I used a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol, and just rubbed the sticky parts until they came off. It took maybe 10 minutes for each bottle.

Then I took them outside where they got sprayed down with white spray paint (primer/paint in one) - here they are before...
And after about two even coats of paint:

I decided to paint one of the wine bottles with some turquoise spray paint I had leftover from my plant stand project.
After sitting outside for a few hours, we carefully brought them in to the laundry room to dry overnight, since the forecast was calling for rain.
I was really happy with how smooth and glossy they looked after the paint! I was all, "Ooh...so shiny!"
Once they had dried for about 24 hours or so, I whipped out my acrylic paints and went for the dipped effect on the mason jars, just using a paint brush. It took at least three coats for each color. The darker pink color was especially hard to get looking even. But I did my best.

I really like the way they turned out. I can't wait to get some flowers to put in them for a cute little summery centerpiece.

I decided to go fairly simply with the wine bottles. I loved how smooth and shiny they looked and didn't want to ruin the finish by painting over with acrylics. So I stuck on a couple of my cheapo Target chalkboard labels and called it a day!
I think I might put them in the living room, because I absolutely love them! They would also make a really cute centerpiece, I think.
The possibilities are really endless with jars and bottles. I've seen so many different ways people have repurposed them. Has anyone else ever painted bottles or jars? How did yours turn out? Do tell!

Linked up to This Week: The Pin Junkie, I Heart Naptime, Domestic Superhero, Liz Marie Blog, Natasha in Oz, Twelve O Eight, Tatertots and Jello.

3 comments:

  1. Those jars and mason jars are so cute! I'm absolutely saving this to my mason jar pin boards! Thanks for the amazing inspiration!!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from TT&J linky party. Very cute! Love the way you can use them to add a splash of color and they're so simple to make. Looks like you did a great job with the paint - no drips!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ~ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...