Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DMB-Inspired Painting

Hey y'all! I know I've been absent again for a few days...BUT I've been busy painting! Here's the result:


I've been wanting to paint something with this quote for a while now, and have been thinking a lot about how I wanted to lay it out, colors, etc. It's taken from the song "Oh" by Dave Matthews Band. You can listen to it here. I don't know what it is about this song, but it makes me happy every time I hear it. It's my alarm in the morning and my ring tone. I love this lyric from the song - "I love you oh so well, like a kid loves candy and fresh snow." it might be one of my favorite lyrics ever.


As for how I layed out the words and came up with the composition - I was going to start out with some sketches and ideas on paper before I started on the canvas, but I decided just to go in and lay it out on the canvas, outlining it in pencil. I already had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do, so I just went for it. Here's my pencil outline:


I know it looks pretty rough, but this was a pretty quick sketch, and I didn't care if it was perfect, since I would be painting over it. I did erase a little to get some of the angles of the letters how I wanted it, but I freehanded all of the writing - no rulers, didn't look at any specific fonts - it's just my handwriting in a mix of cursive and print. I think it gives it more of a handwritten touch instead of looking like something so perfect it was done on a computer. It is a little square canvas (about 8x8 I think), so I wanted to be careful about how I laid out the words - I tried to center them, yet fill out the whole space.


Once I had the idea down on pencil, I started filling in and tracing my outlines with acrylic and watercolor paints. I used a mix of both, because I wanted to just use the colors I had on hand, and wanted a mix of bright shades and more muted ones. I kind of chose the colors as I went along and ended up with a lot of reds and blues.


I painted more flowers around the sides to fill the space a little more and add some cheeriness. And I ended up painting the edges a bright green color. I drew a lot of inspiration from Katie Daisy's paintings, which I'll share more about on the blog tomorrow. I am seriously loving her illustrations lately!


I really like how this little painting turned out. It's not perfect, but I like how it's kind of cute and charming and bright.


Plus it's sentimental, since it's from one of my current favorite Dave songs! And it's almost Valentine's Day, so it's fitting, too!

**Update: My masterpiece is hung! Click here to see! :)

Linked to: The Pin Junkie, Dream a Little Bigger, Kitchen Table Art, Domestic Superhero, DIY Showoff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...