Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Friday, April 12, 2013

Bookcase Makeover Part 2: They're DONE!

MY BOOKSHELVES ARE DONE! YAY!! (See Part 1 of my Bookcase makeover here)

It's time to share how my mini office bookcases went from boring and black to white and bright! Here's a Before and After for ya!
I lovee it!! My office still needs a lot of work (Don't mind the half-finished paint on the walls in these pictures...or Trent's old stuff that is still back in that "nook" behind the bookcases!), but this is one thing checked off my office To-do list.

In my Part 1 post that's linked above, I shared how I covered the backs of the bookcases with wrapping paper I got for $2.99 at HomeGoods. To do the next step (paint them white) we had to take off the backs of the bookcases which were made out of a flimsy cardboard material. That left a lot of imperfections in my pretty chevron-covered backs due to ripping out the nails. So I ended up covering them all over again. Should have just waited in the first place. Oh well, you live, you learn.
So here's where I started out after I cleared off all of the things off my shelves again!

We were lucky to have super nice weather over the weekend, so we could spray paint the shelves! Or...Trent could spray paint them while I supervised.



We ended up using 1 can of primer and about 5 cans of white gloss paint/primer. Trent was definitely having fun. Or maybe not....


It's ok though, I think he secretly loves the projects I decide to take on. Or at least I like to think so.



Saleen helped too....ok, I lied...she just barked at whatever was in her sight (squirrel, bird, pedestrian, etc.).

After the painting was finally finished, we let the book cases dry for a couple of days then reassembled them. And I was left with these magnificent white and patterned bookcases!! I LOVE them, especially the glossy finish!

Once I moved everything in, they were just about perfect!

I arranged everything almost the way I did in my Part 1 post. And I just used whatever items I had lying around to decorate them.



I even found this little peony / vase at Target to dress it up a little bit.

 Lots of work to do still in my office as you can probably tell...but one step closer!


The finishing touch was a basket (about $20 at Target) to hold misc. books like old notebooks, yearbooks, and a few others I didn't really want to add to my shelves.

In summary: I love my bookcases! And can't wait to start on finishing the rest of my office. Have a good weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. These look awesome! I have two ikea black bookshelves, and i would really prefer them to be white, I just didn't want to paint them, but seeing how great yours look with the glossy white paint, I may just have to do it this summer. If you get a chance, please link this up to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment, Rita! I recommend painting, I like mine so much better now! :) Headed over to link up!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for linking up.

      Delete

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...