Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Easy DIY "Dipped" Votives

Hello! Today I'm sharing another Pinterest Challenge project! It's Pinterest Challenge: Spring Edition this time! (See my Winter edition Skeleton key project here)


This time around, I decided to make my own glass votives out of some little fruit jars I had been hoarding because I loved the shape of them. Also - the "Dipped" look is really trendy right now, and I think it's so pretty and simple. So I decided to try this technique on the jars, except I just painted the bottoms to give the appearance of being dipped, instead of actually dipping them. (I didn't have that much paint!) This is one of the easiest projects I've done - literally a 5 minute project that a kindergardener could do!

Here's how they turned out:
These projects were my "Pinspiration":
(From here and here)

The supplies I used were:
  • 3 small fruit jars I had on hand
  • yellow acrylic paint
  • a plate to pour the paint onto
  • a paintbrush
  • a small cup of water
  • 3 tea lights

I started out by washing off the jars and removing the lids and sticker labels.




Then I just squeezed a little yellow acrylic paint onto a plate (I chose yellow because it's bright and sunny and I wanted to bring some more happiness to my front porch!). You can use craft paint, but I just had some Reeves on hand:


Then I just mixed in a little water using a paintbrush....


And I painted the bottoms of the jars with the brush. That simple. Not quite half-way up, I'd say. I didn't want perfect straight lines, so I made it a little wavy to look more natural. And I only painted one coat on the jars. If you're going for more of a matte look you'll probably need more than one coat. I just preferred the brushed-on, semi-transparent look and thought it would look cool when the light shines through.


After the jars were painted, I just sat them upside-down by the fan to let them dry.



Once they were dry, I turned them over and stuck the tea lights inside. And voila! Instant homemade votives.


I think they look super cute on our porch. :)


P.S. - Linking up to all of the Pinterest challenge hosts - Sherry, Katie, Emily, and Renee! So make sure to check their amazing projects out! 
Also linked up to: Liz Marie BlogHouse of HepworthsTatertots and Jello, The Pin JunkieJust Us FourSee Vanessa Craft, and Suburbs Mama.

5 comments:

  1. Those are cute! You can never have too many pretty candle holders, right? I've been thinking about something like that, except in pink, for my wedding.

    ~em @ small girl, big world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are cute and I loved that you got the dipped look without using so much paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the shape of those jars. Hope I can find something similar. The yellow paint is so pretty and summery, happy looking.Above commentor was so right, can never have too many tea light holders. I bet at night they look so pretty. I love candles burning at night with lights off. Would be so nice to sit on your porch to enjoy the night sounds and fresh breeze. Would be so perfect for a wedding.
    Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Love it! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...