Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

La Crosse Trip 2017

Hi all! I just wanted to pop in and share a little about my weekend! I know I haven't updated in a little while. I attended another work conference this weekend in La Crosse, WI. This was my third year attending this particular conference. I also went in 2015 and 2016. The ride up and back from La Crosse isn't too bad (about 4 hours). And the Wisconsin part is particularly scenic, as it gets really hilly with some pretty views of the countryside.

On the way up there, we ate in Fennimore, Wisconsin at a cute little place called Friederick's Family Restaurant. It had kind of a homey, diner feel, and the food wasn't too bad. I just had a grilled cheese and a side salad. I think they serve some fruit pies there that sounded good too, but we didn't try that - maybe next time!

We had great weather for driving there and back - though when we were there, it snowed on us quite a bit. It's funny because the week before, we were enjoying 60-70 degree weather almost all week! It totally felt like spring in February.


Seriously - that was the weekend before the conference. Nearly 70 degrees and sunny outside. Then, in La Crosse, this happened -


The snow started..and lasted all night and most of the day! I woke up to snow outside the window of my hotel room. This was the first snow I had seen in weeks. Not cool.


Despite the snow though, we were lucky that we didn't have too far to go from our hotel to the La Crosse Center. It was just down the street. We stayed at the Holiday Inn, which was really nice.


And I got up at 5:30 am every morning to work our booth at the trade show! It makes for some pretty long days, but it's worth the experiences, and I always learn something new each time.


The food is always really good, too. On Friday night, we decided to eat a couple of blocks away at a restaurant called The Charmant, which was actually both a hotel and restaurant. I have to say the walk to and from the restaurant was kind of brutal! It had gotten pretty cold and windy, and the snow was still coming down. It blew in our face, and it felt like we were trekking through a blizzard.

It was an interesting restaurant, though. It's in a super old building with a lot of character. As always, I loved the light fixtures. There was also live music and a bar surrounding a kind of open kitchen with chefs cooking the food. It was a very unique but nice place.


The food was kind of French-style, and I got a citrus salad which was pretty interesting, along with fries which had a pretty garlicy sauce. For an appetizer, we had toast with a honey-cheese spread, and the honey was straight from the comb! It was actually really good. And for dessert I tried some of the creme brûlée, which was delicious.


Needless to say though, I was glad to be back in the hotel after dinner that night. It was warm and toasty in there, unlike outside!

The ride back home after the conference was super pretty with all of the snow we got, though I didn't take any pictures - oops! I actually saw three different herds of deer grazing in the snow on the way back. It was pretty cool to see. 

I'm still a little tired from the long weekend. It's always a different experience every time we go to trade shows, even if it is the same show each time. Different people, different restaurants, and different sights to see! Sometimes you even get snowed on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...