Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Planting the Flower Garden, Part 1

Happy Cinco de Mayo! So, last week I was finally able to start on the flower garden. It was a nice spring-like week, and the weather was great. Wednesday night after I got home from work was when I started. The garden space is at the very back of our backyard, and I didn't measure it, but it's a pretty big area. Here's the space all tilled and ready for planting:


We normally plant vegetables back here like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, etc., but this year we're planting mostly flowers! We're planning on growing some of our own flowers to use for the reception centerpieces for our wedding in August. I'm planting completely from bulbs and seeds, and I've never really started flowers that way before, so this is a totally new experience, which I'm hoping goes well!

First I laid down landscape fabric, which will cut back on the weeding we'll have to do. I figure it's worth it, and will make for less work and maintenance in the long run. After all the flowers are planted, we'll then go through and lay mulch down in between the flowers to keep the fabric down, and create walking space to go through the garden. Here's my work just after starting on the bulbs on Wednesday:


And here's me finishing up Wednesday night. I worked from about 6:00 until it was dark, probably for about 2 1/2 hours. I was definitely exhausted and ready for bed by the time I was done for the night.


Thursday night I was back at it after I got home from work and ate dinner. I was able to work for another couple of hours. Here's after starting on Thursday:


I had gotten most of my bulbs planted on Wednesday, which included: Dinner Plate Dahlias and Lavender Dahlias on the left, Hollyhocks (which are actually perennials) in the back, and some Ranunculus. Thursday I finished the ranuncula bulbs...


And I got most of my Giant State Fair Zinnia seeds planted. The seeds were pretty time-consuming, since I had to cut out lots of circular holes in the landscape fabric, then dig each up and put the seeds in. It took quite a lot of work planting, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the long run!

I finally finished all of the planting on Sunday, so I'll have a Part 2 pretty soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...