Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What I've Learned So Far about My Ancestry...

So remember when I shared the results of our Ancestry DNA tests last month? Well, since we've gotten them back I've been doing a little research on the Ancestry website.

I've found out a few interesting things I didn't know before. I also talked to my grandma (on my dad's side), and she gave me a couple of huge binders full of information about my relatives! These things are detailed. Not sure who put all of this together, but they've spent a lot more time than me!

I discovered that, yes, I actually do have some English heritage! The Tylers on my dad's side came from England. Apparently I'm related to the 10th President of the United States, President Tyler. Although, I haven't gotten that far in my research yet to actually trace it back that far!

Yep, I'm related to this dude.
Researching a little on Trent's side, I found out that Trent also has some ancestors from England. They first settled in Canada, then came down to the United States.

Little by little I'm finding clues. The Ancestry website gives you hints in the form of "leaf" icons for each person, and these might be documents like city directories, marriage certificates, or death records. It takes a while to compile the facts, though! I'm trying to work one family lineage at a time. Of course the Tyler side of my family came form England, but I've traced the Mier, Scheuermann, and Hartmann sides to Germany. I know I have some Ireland in there, too, but I'm still putting things together.

German, Irish, now British..what else?
So needless to say, I don't think this will be just a month-long project. It might take a little time to trace my family back to every country it originated from!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...