Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Friday, February 22, 2013

Beachy Decor

It's Friday! Woo hoo! I may or may not have the song "Some Beach" in my head today after the additional snow we got last night. Ugh..summer needs to come soon! Luckily, I have a very beachy decor post to transport us to somewhere other than the midwest.

You might already know that last summer Trent and I vacay'ed on the East Coast. We went to lots of beachy places - Virginia Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Myrtle Beach, and the Outer Banks to name a few. So we collected some items like seashells and sea anenomes (sp?), and the like...ok, maybe not sea anenomes..unless a starfish is a sea anenome? Anyway, It didn't take me too long to decide that I wanted to display them!

You may have already seen the shadow box project I made in This Post. If not, you can just click on that link to see it. It was a small shadowbox frame filled with little mementos from our stay in Myrtle Beach at the end of our trip.

Here's a couple of other items from our beachy vacation I've included into our decor:

1. A Jar of Seashells


We had collected quite a few seashells on the beaches during our vacation, and I knew I wanted to store them in something and display them for a nice little memento of our trip. So I just grabbed one of these sealed-lid glass jars (I think it was from Wal-Mart) and put them inside. And voila!


Now they're on my nightstand in the bedroom. I don't really have another place for them yet..Maybe in the future I might put them on a shelf somewhere where they can be properly displayed. 


I also thought about putting a cute little chalkboard label on the jar too, that says "East Coast 2012" or something like that. Then over the years when we visit other beaches, we can have multiple jars of shells that each say different locations. I just may do that in the future. And for the second beachy decor item..

2. A Starfish

This one I actually happen to have a shelf for. It's in the bathroom. I haven't shown too many pictures of our bathroom before, but don't worry - You're not missing out on much. This is the one area I like in our bathroom. We put up this floating shelf, but the wall couldn't support it very well, so we added a couple of corbels to help hold it up. Now we use it to hold our jars of cotton swabs and cotton balls, a cute little candle holder from Kohl's, and this starfish:


I can't remember exactly where on our vacation I bought it, but I believe it was in Virginia Beach. I kept seeing them in the gift shops we went to and decided I couldn't leave without picking up a starfish! I love it.


The artwork is actually something I picked up from Target on clearance. I think it ties in well with the "sophisticated beachy" theme I want going on in there (don't know how else to describe it, but we'll call it that for now). The bathroom will hopefully be completely gutted and redone within the next couple of years, but I definitely want to paint it a gray color like it is now, but a little lighter. Right now the color reminds me of cold concrete. I'd like to warm it up a bit..but for now, I can say it's much better than the color that was in there when I moved in - a not-so-lovely peachy yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...