Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dusty Miller: The Ever Popular Accent for Bouquets

Yesterday I blogged about preparing to grow our own DIY wedding flowers, and all of the flower gardening tips I acquired over this past weekend. But there was one plant I completely forgot about - Dusty Miller.


The lecture I went to at the conference didn't mention this plant - maybe because it's more like a shrub than a flower? But I love it's silvery gray color, and it creates the perfect soft accent to a lot of popular wedding flowers.



I don't know a lot about growing it, but if it's available in our area this spring or summer, I definitely want to plant some. I know the florist is planning on including some in our bouquets, but since we are DIY'ing our own centerpieces for the reception, I definitely think we need to remember to include accent leaves and foliage like Dusty Miller to keep things looking amazing...don't you?


Here are a few facts I found online about Dusty Miller:
  • Can be annuals or perennials
  • Low maintenance and easy to grow
  • Drought tolerant
  • Deer resistant
  • Does best in full sun - can become "leggy" in shade
  • Disease and pest resistant
  • Plant early in the season
  • Grows yellow flowers that people often cut off
  • Grows 10-18 inches tall
  • Plant 10-12 inches apart - will tolerate a little crowding.
Overall it seems like a pretty easy plant to grow and maintain. And it looks incredible mixed with pink florals. I even think it looks super simple and amazing with Baby's breath:



Super excited to try my hand at growing some of these flowers and plants this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...