Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Basement

I did something very brave yesterday. I went down in our basement for the first time since I moved into this house 3 years ago! It was scary. But I made it through. I went with Trent, of course. I don't think I would be brave enough to go down here alone. Have you ever been into the basement of a 100+ year old house? To my surprise, dirt floor and all...it almost looked like it had potential. There's a nice big area that could be used as storage space once it's cleaned up and a cement floor is poured, etc.


I even got to see the new foundation wall from the inside. You can see it in the photo below. It's almost fully built now. We want them to try to raise the kitchen area before they put in the final blocks. The communication has really been tricky throughout this project. We've been really unsure about if they're going to raise the kitchen, like it needs to be. It almost seems as though they just wanted to build the wall and that's it. But the whole point of this project was to fix our sinking kitchen! And let me tell you, it has not moved..if anything, it has sinked further. Yesterday we measured about 2-4 inches away from level in the kitchen. As in, there is a big slope! Scary.

They're waiting until next Friday to finish, so that it will be completely dry. This photo shows the crawl space area below the kitchen. You can definitely tell the jacks need repositioned! The kitchen is the oldest space and has the least support out of the entire house. We are hoping before the crew is done they can make sure that it's raised up and level with the rest of the house. All I can say is it's been an interesting week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...