Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Monday, June 1, 2015

DIY Tassel Garland

Happy June 1st everyone! That means today is the unofficial first day of summer, right? I mean, it's JUNE! If I were back in school I would be so excited right now for summer vacation to start. 

On to the main point of this post, though. Yesterday I felt pretty productive, because I got another thing done for the wedding. A tassel garland made from tissue paper. I've seen these on Pinterest and loved them! And they looked super easy to do. So I wanted to make my own DIY tassel decor for inside the reception tent. And I love how it turned out!

Here's a glimpse of my finished product:


It was just as simple as I thought it was going to be! Our wedding colors are pink, peach, and mint. So I found some tissue paper in each of my colors, and got all of my supplies together. All you need is tissue paper, string or twine, a glue gun, and scissors.


I actually figured out a couple of different ways the tassels could be made. But this was the most effective way I found:


You start by just folding a piece of tissue paper lengthwise and widthwise, until you have something that looks like the third picture above.


Then you take the scissors and cut fringe in your piece of tissue paper. Unfold, and cut until you have 4 equal pieces. 1 piece of tissue paper makes 4 tassels! 

To complete your tassels, just twist the piece of tissue paper into a roll, then twist the uncut end again, and glue together with a glue gun so you have a loop at the top.

I kinda failed to get a photo of the last part of the process, but here's a closer pic so you can see a little better what I'm talking about with the loop part:


And honestly there's no right or wrong way to make them. I tried a different way that I saw online, and it didn't work as well for me because I ended up with tassels that were a little shorter and I wanted them as long as I could get them. But, if you don't care about the length, it works just as well, so here are some photos I took to show this other way, too:


What's different with this way is that you have a wider piece that you will then open up so it looks like this:


Then you cut it in half along the fold in the middle:


Then unfold piece each from the top. 


Finally, separate the pieces so you'll have four (4) total cut pieces. And roll each piece like this:


When that's all rolled up, you twist the middle part and bend that over in the middle, and that forms your loop. Here are all my tassels once I was finished:


Aren't they pretty? Once I had all my tassels, I cut my length of twine to 8 feet. I wanted this one to be pretty long, since I'll probably be hanging this one right above our table at the reception. Then I just hung each tassel on and kind of pinched each one onto the twine so each one stays in place.



I love the way the finished product looks. You could even double it when you hang it to make it two layers of tassels, or create even more tassels and hang them closer together for a more "full" garland.


I wanted to stretch it out all the way so I could get an idea of what it might look like once it's hung. Unfortunately, Trent's a little under the weather this week with a cold so I had to use this wonderful old desk as my helper! Ha. Trent did take a photo from the couch while I held one end, so he did help out a little bit. You get the idea I guess!


I'm planning on making a couple of smaller ones, too for the cake and gift tables. All I can say is that I'm glad the DIY tissue paper garlands are on trend right now, because I'm loving this look.


They're so pretty and delicate looking, not to mention easy. And I'm so excited to get some decorations made for the wedding! I've seen so many pictures on the web of how people have used them for showers and birthday parties, too. They're so versatile and look so cute. So go ahead, try a tassel garland for your next party...or your wedding!

Linked to: Weekend Re-treat Party, Friday Features Linky Party, The Pin Junkie

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I'm working on decorating the nursery for my baby girl (due in September). I think these would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, congrats! This would be so cute in a nursery!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I spotted your link at Friday Features Linky Party...So glad I did! This is something that even I can make (and that's sayin' something!).

    ReplyDelete

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...