Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Monday, July 29, 2013

DIY Vacation Jar Memento

It's been a while since I've shared a crafty project, so I'm super excited to say that I have a few to share this week! Even before our Lake Geneva trip, I already had an idea in mind of a vacation memento I wanted to make to remember it. I even looked for inspiration before the trip so I could gather any materials I needed. So this project is a long time in the making! But I finally had the time to get the materials I needed and make it. And here's how it turned out:


As much as I wanted to use a blue mason jar, I passed up the ones I found in the antique stores on the way back from our trip. I regret not buying a couple, since they weren't too much $$, and they have so much character. But after looking a little for a couple of weeks, I wasn't able to find any more of the blue ones, so I just picked up a regular glass one at Hobby Lobby.


It was only about $1, since it was originally like $2.20 and was 50% off. I wanted to use some kind of twine around the top of the jar for a kind of rustic, beachy feel, but all I could find were rolls of hemp for like $5-7 which was a little more than I wanted to pay. Finally at Hobby Lobby I found this roll of Sisal, which is a thin rope usually used for things like rugs.


At only $3.99, I decided to get it, since I figured I could always use it for future projects and I really like the texture of it.


I just filled the mason jar with the sand I collected in a water bottle at Williams Bay beach in Lake Geneva, and then put a few of the mushroom shells I found at the antique store on the way back. Two of the bigger shells didn't fit in the jar, but the rest were small enough to just set inside on top of the sand.


After the jar was filled, I used a label sticker and stuck that on with the label "Lake Geneva July 2013."


Then I glued the sisal rope around the top of the jar. And voila. My vacation jar is complete! I put it on the end table in our living room. It was the perfect spot.

I actually have a couple of other little projects that I completed over the weekend to share soon, so stay tuned! They've also been brewing around in my head for a while, so I'm quite excited to finally share them. LOVE super easy little projects. :)

Linked up to: Domestic Superhero, House of Hepworths

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...